Monday, October 8, 2012

Getting Ready for Halloween

I can't say how much I love Halloween without being a Heathen about it (in case you're wondering what a Heathen is, it would be someone who doesn't believe in God or someone who does not belong to any religion). Now I would not in anyway describe myself as a Heathen because I do believe in God and I am a very spiritual person with good morals. I only bring it up because I've had a loved one call me a heathen and it hurt my feelings. I know they were just poking fun of me, but it struck a nerve. What it actually made me do was think a little deeper into what Halloween means to me and why I love it so much. I came to the conclusion that I love Halloween because I really enjoyed it as a child. Halloween in the 80's was the best! I remember dressing up as Princess Leia and my brothers were Hans Solo and Luke Skywalker. I was a ghost, a witch, strawberry shortcake, whatever I was into at the time.

Putting that aside, I really love Halloween. I love the color, the humor, the eeriness, the fun factor. I love decorating my house with pumpkins, haunted houses, and spider webs and setting up the front porch to look eerie and spooky for trick-or-treaters. It's all about having fun and that's what I'm all about.

I will not, however dress up as a witch again this year. I do that every year and I think it's getting a little old. I want to try something new. Since I read the Hunger Game series this year, and loved it. I'm thinking maybe Katniss or her Mentor's Effie Trinket. But Effie would be a lot more work and I am not prepared to go that far with it. Katniss would fit me well, so maybe I will go with her.

For inspiration look up Mallory Davis, she has a great inspiration board. Also. I removed all my pictures from this post. Due to copyright infringement. I really don't want to be sued.

My daughter will be a fairy this year so I will be sewing a lot. I am so looking forward to making a costume. I love it with a passion. I will also be making my son into either Dracula or a knight. He wants to be either of these. I will post picks of the costumes when it's done.  

No comments:

Post a Comment